You’re probably tired of hearing it, but I’ve been busy taking on this new life of mine here in the big apple – my home away from home. Today I turn nineteen, which means next year I’ll be twenty, which means the year after that I’ll be twenty one; at that point I’ll pretty much be done with college and on to doing #adultthings. It’s crazy when I think about it. Life goes by so. damn. fast. But here I am, yet again, overthinking life.
I’m not one to plan out my entire future, but with all of the goal setting and day dreaming I’ve been subconsciously doing, I don’t think I can say that anymore. It’s safe to say that I’ve learned more about myself this past year than I have my whole entire life. And boy-oh-boy, am I thankful for that.
Here are nineteen things I’ve learned at nineteen.
1. There’s no sense in living with regrets when what’s in the past cannot be changed.
2. Everything happens for a reason. People come and go from your life for a reason. And as for life’s mishaps, everything will work itself out in the end.
3. Whoever said high school is the best time of your life is 100,000% WRONG.
4. I think I found the secrets to living a happy life: Practice self-love and take care of yourself, physically and mentally. Turn the negatives into positives. Surround yourself with supportive and kind people who have your best interest at heart.
5. Stop apologizing for things you’re not really sorry for.
6. Slow walkers and messy people will be the death of me.
7. I give people the benefit of the doubt way too easily.
8. Your body and mind come before anyone else in this world.
9. Saying good morning to a stranger can seriously make their day (and yours).
11. It takes a lot for me to get homesick.
12. I am a neat freak and a germaphobe.
13. My time management skills are probably better than anyone else’s on this planet.
14. It takes more energy to be mean than it does to be nice.
15. Sometimes it’s okay to sit around and do nothing for a day.
16. You’re dreams won’t work unless you do.
17. Sleep is more important than you think.
18. No one is perfect. Everyone is human.
19. The best things come when you least expect them.
So, maybe you’ll take these things to heart.
See you soon.